Palliative Care Education
Banksia Palliative Care (Banksia) provides high quality palliative care education via our Learning Centre Team. Through our education sessions, we to empower clinicians, and members of the community with specific, specialist palliative care knowledge. We believe that the more health professionals with capacity in this vital area, the more people who will receive the personalised care and treatment that will enable them to have dignity in death, whatever that looks like for that individual.
Our education is facilitated by highly trained and experienced Educators, with qualifications and expertise in all areas of palliative care.
Banksia works closely with a variety of organisations across Victoria to deliver vital education, including:
- Residential Aged Care Facilities and DHHS Supported Residential Services,
- Private and public health services,
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse community groups,
- Regional Palliative Care Consortiums.
Please contact our Learning Centre Team via email: email@example.com or call on 03 9455 0822 to chat about education for yourself, or your service/facility.
Banksia is proud to facilitate the upcoming 2020 Education Courses
Banksia’s Learning Centre team have transitioned our education to a virtual platform (MS Teams) and are now able to offer multiple sessions to attendees regardless of your location.
- 08.45 – 09.00 – Registration
- 09.00 – 12.30 – Interactive session (including break)
|Sessions||Dates||Session duration|| Cost
|Session 1- Introduction to palliative care||
|Session 2- Importance of psychosocial support||
|Session 3- Pain management||
|Session 4- End of life||
|Session 5- Opioid conversions and syringe drivers||
|Session 6- Symptom management part 1||
|Session 7- Symptom management part 2||
|Session 8- Palliative emergencies, treatments and assessment tools||
Please note special offers:
- Book 3 or more sessions a 20% discount applies
- Book all 8 sessions total cost $1,375 (incl GST) – SAVE $385.00
Introduction to Palliative Care
· Philosophy of Palliative Care
· Identifying the deteriorating client
Importance of psychosocial support
· Anticipatory Grief
· Psychosocial Support
· Pain Assessment
· Pain Management- non pharmacological, non-opioid and opioid
End of life
· Death and Dying from a palliative care perspective
· Advance Care Planning
Opioid conversions and syringe drivers
· Opioid Conversions
· Syringe drivers
Symptom management part 1
· Overview of common palliative symptoms
· Nausea and vomiting
· Bowel management
· Complementary therapies
Symptom management part 2
· Terminal restlessness
· Assessment and Management of Dyspnoea
Palliative emergencies, treatments and assessment tools
· Palliative Emergencies
· Palliative Treatments
· Palliative Assessment Tools
Supporting People through Bereavement Course – this course is endorsed by Australian Association of Social Workers
This course will:
- improve knowledge and understanding of grief and loss associated with bereavement;
- increase confidence in supporting people experiencing grief and loss;
- enable the provision of contemporary, best practice, evidence based bereavement care.
The course is facilitated by a highly trained and experienced Educator, with qualifications and expertise in grief and bereavement.
- Grief and bereavement theories;
- Common grief behaviours and reactions;
- Risk, resilience and protective factors;
- Strategies for supporting people who are grieving;
- Grief and bereavement services and supports;
- Self-care strategies for practitioners.
The course is suitable for nurses and allied health professionals interested in palliative care, whether new to palliative care or wanting to update existing skills and knowledge.
Metropolitan Melbourne Region: – POSTPONED
- Location: Banksia Palliative Care office- 472 Lower Heidelberg Road, Heidelberg
- For further information regarding this course, including payment options, please contact:
- Banksia Learning Centre Team
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 03 9455 0822