Palliative Care Training OpportunitiesBanksia Palliative Care Service Inc.
Banksia Palliative Care Service (Banksia) has been offering renowned specialised palliative care training and educational opportunities for health care professionals for several years. Our training delivers contemporary, evidence-based information in a supportive and engaging environment, which is adapted to suit the participant’s professional scope of practise. Knowledge gained is tangible and relevant and is known to have an immediate impact on practise.
All courses are facilitated by highly trained and experienced palliative care health professionals, and are offered in a variety of formats and locations including rural and regional areas, Aged Care Facilities, Disability Houses and large public health services.
PALLIATIVE CARE RESOURCE NURSE COURSE
Banksia’s comprehensive 6-day course is aimed at enhancing Division 1 and Division 2 (medication endorsed) Registered Nurses’ understanding and knowledge of holistic palliative care, resulting in confidence and capacity when managing palliative care patients and their carers.
The course incorporates four face to face, theoretical group education sessions and up to two days observational placement with Banksia Palliative Care Service, or a local health service for rural participants (optional).
Participants will gain skills and be provided with resources for utilisation in their own work place.
At the completion of this course, the attendees will have significant knowledge in the following palliative care topics:
- The philosophy of palliative care and the palliative approach to care;
- Palliative symptom assessment and management;
- Palliative medications, including commonly used opioids;
- Recognising palliative care emergencies and implementing appropriate treatments;
- Caring for the terminal patient and their family;
- Effective communication and difficult conversations;
- The importance of self-care and teamwork, including support available for staff.
The course is delivered regularly throughout the year in Melbourne (at Banksia’s office in Heidelberg) and in rural Victoria. In 2019 the course will be offered in Bendigo and Albury/Wodonga.
Cost: $ 1,500 + GST (only $250 per day)
2019 Melbourne course dates
- March 20/21 and 27/28
- June 19/20 and 26/27
- August 28/29 and September 4/5
PALLIATIVE CARE ESSENTIALS – 1 DAY SHORT COURSE
Banksia’s comprehensive 1-day short course provides all attendees with greater understanding and knowledge of general palliative care. The training is relevant for Division 1 and 2 Registered Nurses, personal care attendants, Aged Care Facility staff, allied health care professionals and any person with a special interest in palliative care.
The day covers the following palliative care topics:
- Palliative symptom management including, but not be limited to:
- Non pharmaceutical management or pain and discomfort;
- Importance of the application of general care and comfort principles including diligent mouth care, regular pressure area care, thorough hygiene, etc;
- Managing the appetite and intake of a palliative patient;
- Advocating for a palliative patient when dealing with other health services
- Emotional support for terminal patients and their families;
- Effective communication in palliative care (with patients and family members);
- The importance of self-care, teamwork and support available for staff.
The course is run multiple times throughout the year at Banksia’s Heidelberg office (Melbourne), however will be presented at alternative venues if requested (conditions apply).
Cost: $225 +GST
2019 Melbourne Course Dates
- February 14
- June 13
- November 14
SUPPORTING THE BEREAVED AND GRIEVING
Banksia’s comprehensive 1-day short course provides all attendees with greater understanding and skills to support people who are bereaved and experiencing grief. Delivered by a qualified Grief Counsellor, this is high level information which is relevant for Division 1 and 2 Registered Nurses, personal care attendants, Aged Care Facility staff, allied health care professionals and any person with a special interest in gaining these specific skills and knowledge.
Topics covered include:
- Grief and bereavement theories;
- Common grief behaviours and reactions;
- Strategies for supporting people who are grieving;
- Grief and bereavement services and supports;
- Self-care strategies for practitioners.
The course is run multiple times throughout the year at Banksia’s Heidelberg office
Cost: $225 +GST
2019 Melbourne Course Dates
- April 4
- October 24